May 19, 2016
Top 8 Tips to Improve Client Retention & Loyalty
Customers are the basis for a successful business, but are you aware that according to the
Harvard School of Business, by increasing client retention by just five (5) percent will increase
your profits by at least twenty-five (25%). Below are some tips that will improve client retention
and customer loyalty:
1. Set realistic expectations and deliver. One of the quickest and most effective ways to
boost client loyalty is to make exciting promises, but more importantly, you must deliver
on those promises. Clients who are happy with the exceptional service you promised,
will definitely tell their friends and family (and this is the best free advertising you can
2. Clearly communicate progress, and to do this effectively, you will need to have an
excellent system for tracking the facts about your business. Remember to use words
that customers love to hear, such as “free” and “new”.
3. Create a memorable experience, and use this to keep clients and build a successful
business. When a person has a positive and memorable experience, they will more than
likely continue to be a loyal customer, and bring new people to your business. They may
possibly even also turn into faithful customers.
4. Ask customers for feedback and to rate their experience. Not only will customers feel
like their opinion is valued, but you can also utilize this information (whether positive or
negative) to improve client loyalty. Being able to address potential pitfalls of your
business early will help to keep clients on your side.
5. Record problems, as this will give you a clear understanding of to why perhaps a large
portion of your clients have dropped. Perhaps you hired a new staff member, or a
member of your staff has moved on, and that employee was the reason that customers
6. Consistency builds trust. Have a plan in place and delivery quality service on a regular
basis. As mentioned earlier, your customers should come to expect high quality, but it
should not come as a surprise, it should be the norm among your customers. When
customers expect (and receive) high quality service on a regular basis, you are sure to
have loyal customers for a very long time.
7. Regular communication through monthly newsletters and/or regular emails, will keep
your current clients abreast as to the current promotions and changes going on with your
company. This is also a great way to reward your customers with special discounts, as
a way of thanking them for their loyalty.
8. Reciprocity is an excellent way to increase customer loyalty, and this tried and true
method has been used throughout time, to retain clients. There are basically two types
of reciprocity: Surprise reciprocity is, of course, an unexpected gift given freely to your
current customers. The other is, trumpeted reciprocity, and this is when your staff
members go “above and beyond” the call of duty, and the customers cannot help but to
Ready to take your client retention to the next level? Click here to learn more about our Client Retention Mastery Course.