May 19, 2016
12 Business Habits That are Essential for a Successful Massage Practice
The ideas of Thomas Edison, Bill Gates, and Benjamin Franklin changed the world, and these names
are often associated with success, innovation, and wealth. They, as many other successful
entrepreneurs do, have a set of habits that they follow that aids in their success (no matter what the
type of business.
Once you realize, that “doing”, rather than “dreaming” is the key to ultimate success, it will be easy to
incorporate some of the habits that are listed below, that are used by entrepreneurs as the foundation
for their business success.
1. Know the value of a dollar and how to manage it. Poor money managing skills will destroy
your business. You need to know when to spend and when to save.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask a potential customer to buy your service and/or product. If you do not
ask, you will never know.
3. Keep up with the fast-paced technical world. If you do not grow and evolve with the growing
technology, your company will not succeed.
4. Embrace the concept of organization. This does not come easily to many people, but it is a
practice that must be learned and achieved, for creating and maintaining a successful
5. Statistics may be boring, but it is vital that you track the progress of your business, and this
includes “crunching the numbers”, to see what works and what doesn’t, for the ultimate
success of your business.
6. Find something that will set you apart from the competition. People, in general, love to be
unique, and they will seek out businesses that offer something a little different, that will make
them stand out from the crowd.
7. Write down your original business goals, keep it on track and refer to them often. In addition,
write down your expected five, ten, and twenty year goals.
8. Perfect your 3-minute business speech (better known as an “elevator pitch”). We come in
contact with strangers (potential clients) every day. While waiting in a doctor’s office, on line
at the grocery store, or in an elevator you may have a captive audience for a few minutes.
Have business cards and a 3 minute business pitch ready to be used often, as first
impressions really do make a difference.
9. Be flexible and learn the art of negotiation. If you are not flexible and accommodating to
potential and current clients, many people will feel that they are not the priority, and will find
their value and importance in another business.
10. Never get complacent and never stop learning. Starting your day by reading something
inspirational is a great way to feed your brain. In addition, learn a musical instrument or a new
language – just because these type of activities will make you feel alive (mentally and
11. Failures will happen, but stay positive and motivated, and do not get discouraged. View every
failure as a learning experience and try again.
12. Build your business around your lifestyle and not the other way around. It is vital for your
mental health and business success to take regular vacations. This habit will offer a break
from the daily grind, and new innovative ideas can flow more easily.